Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Hail Mary Pass

GASP!

SILENCE

APPLAUSE

That is how the finale of my first attempt at acting was capped.  It was the start of a passion and an addiction for me. Little did I know that this first performance would live on in school infamy for years.  Forcing a prop change and rule book for future starlets to adhere to years down the line.


I was in First Grade.  It was getting close to Christmas and I knew that our class was responsible for the Nativity play. It was always a big deal every year. It was even a bigger deal who was to play Mary. Guess who was chosen for that gig? YEP - little freckle faced me!  I recall the teacher calling out my name and a collective sigh of "WHAT?" being uttered by every other little girl behind me(yes behind me - because being the little nerd I am -I was of course in the front row).  Immediately I was the most hated girl in the class - at least until after Christmas break.

Side note - re-read this book - a childhood fave!
We took our scripts home that night.  I recall wanting to call my "agent" and renegotiate this production.  I - the mother of God - only had 2 lines!!!!!  While Joseph - the step dad to the Messiah- had a whopping 12 lines! I felt very shortchanged. Already the little diva was emerging.  If I was going to have only 2 lines - well by God those lines would be the greatest lines ever uttered across the gym stage. I practiced daily and was ready for the spotlight.

The day had finally arrived. The costumes were made the stage was set.  We were ready for show time. I brought my favorite baby doll in to be the Christ Child. Please note that we had practiced with no baby for the past 3 weeks and today was the big moment. With babe in arms and my Mary costume on I headed out the door , to my dad's station wagon, and into the crisp Georgia night for my first acting gig. 



Now let me set this up...here is the baby doll I chose to represent our Lord and Savior - see photo.   Yes, I realize this baby is as big as me - but nobody stopped me and I was allowed to bring any doll I wanted - so this was it.  Yep - Mary birthed a 6 month old! Sweet Jesus, I am going to hell for ALL OF THIS!
In all my heavenly glory! Little brother is photo bombing me.






The show went as planned. We did have a quick substitution when the lead angel was home with the chicken pox and the teachers had to scramble someone to fill in. Other than that things were going along smoothly.

We came to the final song.  Joseph and I are center stage. The choir is singing around us.  I am lovingly looking down on the large baby. I know my next move. I am to stand up. Finish singing the song with the rest of the choir and raise our hands above our heads at the end.

CRAP! 

Raise our hands? My 5 year old head raced. Sweet Corn Nibblets! We never practiced this with the baby before! I only had moments to decide what to do? Do I leave the baby on the ground or do I (GASP) not follow my stage direction and not put my hands up?  This was a split second acting choice I had to make...so...

I THREW THE BABY JESUS!

I threw that large baby doll into the audience below me.  It wasn't subtle either.  I leaned back and did my best Joe Montana and threw that baby for a touchdown.   But by God my hands were in the feckin air! I finished that song with a smile on my face and my jazz hands up.

GASP
SILENCE
APPLAUSE

The curtain came down and my teachers rushed over to me.  I was thrilled - I did my part - said every line- and still got my hands up. I felt I did no wrong. They gently turned me around to show me the manger that was BEHIND ME! I recall Mrs. Guinn saying: "Molly, did you forget that about the manger?".  Oh, I guess I had forgotten that one detail. I was so high off my performance that I didn't care. I went downstairs and ate my cookies and juice at the after party like a queen. Where my mortified mother and father returned my baby doll to me. In my eyes,  the show was a thrilling success.

After that, the school invested in a standard size baby doll and placed the manger IN FRONT of the Holy Family at all performances.   I changed the Christmas play for all eternity - score point for me!

That show is one of my most favorite Christmas memories, and I am so happy to share it here. I hope everyone gets a chance to see their  own child add a special moment to a school production one day. I know mine have already done so, and I look forward to more. 

Bring it 2014! Let's keep the family theater streak alive and well -  one embarrassing moment at a time!  I don't think we will have a problem with that.....exhibit A...
Don't turn your back on us for a second!






Swag on!
See you soon! - And MAYBE a VLOG will appear! Good Lord!
Swagger Mom - Twitter @Irishbelle2000
                           Instagram @Irishbelle78


No comments:

Post a Comment