Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Years Eve Hell - Lessons Learned for 2014

 This was my "Coming to Jesus!" moment yall! In a locked bedroom with the bass line of terrible house music pumping through the floor. A moment I never saw coming.

I should have known better! I am a well educated woman, but the desire to have a kid free night out on New Years Eve sounded too good to be true and hard to resist.

Originally my plan was to stay home, eat Doritios, make a resolution not to eat Doritios anymore, eat more Doritios, watch Ryan Seacrest count down the year surrounded by bad pop music artists, and go to bed.  Sounds stellar right?? Well, only if it makes me as cool as these kids! OMG is that a VEST AND ACID WASH JEANS!!!!!

 Well, at the last minute I was offered the chance to go out with a girl I went to St. Mary's College with - to of all things a huge house party - complete with DJs and bartenders!  This is kinda what I was envisioning.....

If only the party had been that cool. Anyway, as a single mom of two having a night out without kids is rare and so I jumped at the chance. Also note I have not been out for New Years since 1997. So, there is that too.

So I had my plans and I was ready to have fun with my girlfriend, drink, dance and ring in 2014 - because THIS IS MY YEAR!

Also note - this party is an hour and a half away in Ft. Wayne. I live in South Bend - this was not a simple drive down the street. This took effort. This took time and coordination.  Well, I arrive ready to have a great night. What do I see?

1. House is PACKED full of people.
2. House is SOOOOO loud with what I think they call "music" I can't hear myself think.
3. Bartender is overwhelmed and getting a drink is IMPOSSIBLE!
4. One of the 2 DJs is passed out next to his sound board
5. The ONLY music playing is techno house that was made by these two DJs.
Only photo I caught the whole night - for fear of getting my ass kicked. This is the state of music today. This is the sound board of the passed out DJ.

I recognize my friend and thank God there is someone in this maze that I know. We sit and chat and soon the passed out DJ awakens. He begins talking to us and then all of a sudden he switches into a British accent , and no this is not some clever party game..this shit is REAL! His accent is terrible by the way! My friend and I asked him to stop talking and his reply: "Ladies this is me real voice - bloody right.." - I think he was either high or an idiot, hmmm both.

YEAH, OK, We are going to back away now..slowly.  I so wanted to leave already, but I did manage to get a few drinks so I needed to stay a bit. It was still early. I was a guest of my friend and I didn't want to be rude and leave so early.  I liked seeing my college girl so I figured I would stay till midnight and then leave.

Time passed and I went to find a "Ladies Room"  and a place to hide in peace in this massive home. I get upstairs and I hear a FAKE British accent and panic. OH FUCK its that horrid drunk DJ!!!!!  I hear this terrible cockney accent getting closer behind me "Aren't you that Irish Molly???  Girl, I'm talking to you! You're pretty cute for fuckin Irish."  UGH - go away!!!! I was trying to find a room to just hide in until New Years was over and now this lunatic was following me! Fortunately, I didn't have to make small talk with this weirdo. He leaned against the door frame to try to tell me some story -which I believe was about how he already had a bottle and a half of Kettle One today and then promptly fell over and banged his head on the floor. Then crawled toward the bed in that room and I never saw him again. Yep - the life of a a techno/house DJ yall. FAIL.  Please note, I was laughing hysterically this whole time, but also ready to kick him in the balls if he tried to lay a hand on me.

So, now here I was. Changed into yoga pants and sweatshirt and chilling in a locked bedroom in a home I have never been to, in a town I don't know, surrounded by people I don't really care about Enter Twitter and my text messages to rescue me. Thank you!  It also made instantly clear to me that I (again to quote Clerks) - shouldn't even be here today! I knew exactly where I would much rather have been! UGH - LIFE!

HOW DID THIS FUCKING HAPPEN????


Finally I heard the countdown. Ran downstairs, made the obligatory goodbyes and thanks. Grabbed my bag and headed out the door. I wanted to be home. I didn't care what time. I wanted to be home.  So  as I am running out the back door to get to my car I run into a fight. BAD TIMING. Large group of people, everyone is shoving, I get an elbow to the face and fall into the door frame (just like MR. DJ). It was the back of my head so no marks, but it hurts like hell today. So if you don't hear from me again, well you know what happend.
Less swollen today - fair skin bruises easy.
BUT OH MY GOD!!! I can't get outta here fast enough.

SO, driving home through the cornfields of Northern Indiana in now January and there is a snow storm.  What should have been an hour and a half drive home turned into 3!  SO I had a lot of time to think about my New Years Eve.
Here is what I learned at the House Party from Hell-

DON'T WAIT!   LIFE IS TOO FUCKING SHORT!  DON'T SETTLE!

Don't wait around for life to happen! - Its not going to be handed to me, I have to actively make it happen. I am done waiting for someone to invite me to "house parties" full of weirdos. I can do better. 

Speak up and say what you want! - All I wanted to do while sitting in this hell was to talk to people I care about. Life is too short to not tell others what you are really thinking - in all types of relationships. Be honest, and tell others you care. If I like you, I will tell you/show you. I am very honest.  I need to speak up more and tell others what I want and how I feel - maybe they don't want to hear it - but life is too short to be quiet.

Don't settle! I settled for this party because I was bored. That was dumb! I should have stayed home.  The people I truly care about were not at this party and it was painfully obvious to me when I locked myself in that bedroom that I should have been somewhere else. I might not have been able to be where I wanted to truly be, but I would not have been wasting my breath in this hell party.

My new motto for 2014 :
DON'T WAIT! LIFE IS TOO FUCKING SHORT! DON'T SETTLE! BE HAPPY!

I can't wait to start 2014!  I know where I want this year to go, and hopefully the people I want along for the ride are up for it.  That includes all of you - if you are reading this than you must give about my existence a little...LOL.

That night of hell taught me that life is too short to waste around people who don't give a shit about me! And its too short to not tell the people you care about how you feel. So get ready for some "feelings" all up in your faces this year! DEAL WITH IT!

Lets rock 2014! I wish you all the happiest of new years, but please note THIS IS MY YEAR BABY!  LOL JK - we can share the good times ahead.

Here's to US YALL! CHEERS TO 2014!!!! If I could sing this to you all I would!

Until next time.
Swagger on!
@irishbelle2000 - twitter
@irishbelle78 - instagram 


5 comments:

  1. Omg house party?! Crazy! Glad you made it back safely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of house parties have ended like that for me. Great blog btw...found you through dinodrac and the mall chinese food thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy I am not the only one who lived through that experience. Thanks for reading. I pale in comparison to DinoDrac, and was thrilled he included me and my new blog in the food court project. Glad you liked it....it was tons of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete